10.30.2008

Pachinko

Jared and I finally went to play Pachinko before leaving Japan! We decided to go to the parlor on the corner right outside of Kadena Gate 5. As you can see, they also have slot machines in this particular parlor.

We had heard there were non-smoking sections, so we arrived with the hope of leaving unscathed from cigarette smoke. What a joke! We were within 15 feet of the front door and the air already reaked! We did, however, sit in a non-smoking row so smoke wasn't blowing directly in our faces while we played. Look how many people there were!

We spent 1000 yen per person, and received 250 pachinko balls per 1000 yen. In the picture above, Jared is pointing to one person's extra backup container of Pachinko balls!! If you can see in the below picture, this man next to me must have had $200+ worth of metal balls!

Quite honestly, this Wiki page explains the "game" better than I ever could:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko
What I do know is that when you are running low on balls in the top slot, you move them from the bottom slot to the top so they can continue to trickle down the machine. Since you are touching the metal balls the entire time, they have two sinks conveniently located inside of the entry/exit with soap and hand dryers. Use the sinks at the end, or bring hand sanitizer!

Jared and I were both out of balls in about 20 minutes. AND, we didn't win any prizes. Speaking of prizes, I tried to sneak a picture of them, but I wasn't able to because the Japanese attendant was making an "X" motion with his arms towards my direction when I pulled the camera out. Instead of a picture, I will describe the prizes: SPAM, Vienna Sausages, Cigarettes, light-up pens, candy, and other various junk. This attendant below is helping the gambler to check out and receive a coupon to cash in for prizes.
Glad to have done it for the experience, but this will be one of the rare times I will ever say this--live this one vicariously through us!! It is not worth your loss of money or your gain of stinky hair!

2 comments:

CJF said...

We have been curious about those too. Thanks for sharing this, we loved our experience! haha!

CJF said...

So you guys are gone? I don't think we ever got to say goodbye!