6.28.2009

Siamese Twin Strawberry

One of the young women at church turned 12 yesterday, so this Sunday, she moved up from the Primary to work in the Beehive program with me.

Thanks to her birthday, for the first time, I (successfully)
made an Angel Food cake here in Arizona.

I say that because from the moment we moved here, I have had trouble baking in the gas oven--I suppose the 4,500 foot elevation does not help!

Psst Ilene: I found the trick to Angel Food cake here.
It is all about adding 1/4 cup cake flour to the mix (no extra water this time),
bumping the temp down to 325, and cooking for only 30 or so minutes--
not the 38 minutes "recommended" bake time!
Naturally, I needed toppings for the cake. I whipped up some fresh cream and started to slice strawberries, when I found THIS highly unusual berry in the pint:

It even had two stem areas! It was a "Siamese" strawberry!

Call me crazy, but I always enjoy it when nature is a little
out of whack because it keeps life interesting.